- Immigration Law
- Corporate Law
- Employment Law
- Litigation, Courts & Tribunals
At OTS Solicitors we understand how important it is for our clients and their families to finally settle and make the UK their permanent home. If you are thinking of applying for British Citizenship, our Specialist British Citizenship team will provide the best immigration advice and representation to assist you to become a British citizen.
There are several ways to become a British citizen. Some individuals may be born as British citizens, other will need to be registered as British, but most commonly individuals that have resided lawfully and settled in the UK will need to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen.
Application for British Citizenship
If you have obtained indefinite leave to remain, or permanent residence, you may be entitled to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen. This will be subject to meeting certain requirements such as your age, residence, character and assessments. Our team of immigration Solicitors will assist you to show that you meet the following requirements:
- You are over 18 years old at the point of applying
- You will continue to live in the UK
- You have passed the 'Life in the UK' Test
- You will need to show that you have, as a minimum and depending on your immigration status resided in the UK for 5 years and in possession of ILR for at least 12 months
- You will need to show that in the last five years you have not been outside the UK for more than 450 days and 90 days within the last 12 months
- You have had indefinite leave to remain for the last 12 months
- You will need to show that you have not broken any immigration laws in the UK
- You are of a good character and sound mind
Life In The UK Test
All applications for naturalistation are subject to you having passed the ‘Life in the UK’ test and this will need to be evidenced as part of your application. We can advise and help you locate the appropriate test centre and to prepare for the test.
In the UK, once you have obtained your British citizenship you will be entitled to hold both your British and any other nationality as a dual national. However, holding dual nationality is prohibited by some countries. Our Specialist British Citizenship team will assess if your country prohibits dual nationality, and we will assist you to contact your embassy or consulate to ensure that you do not stand to lose your citizenship following a successful application for British citizenship.
To discuss the requirement for British citizenship our Specialist British Citizenship team will be able to help you. Please contact the OTS Solicitors on 0207 936 9960 or contact us online.
British Citizenship and Nationality Success Stories
For a more detailed discussion regarding your case, or to book an appointment with a member of our Individual Immigration team, please call us now on 0207 936 9960