I have been made redundant 2 months ago after 2.5 years working on ICT Tier 2 Visa. I married to a British Citizen 2 weeks ago and would like to apply for dependent visa. Is it possible to use redundancy payment as cash savings? I had 50k as cash savings 6 months prior to the application and received c30k as redundancy payment 2 months ago.

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your question. You may use your redundancy payment as cash savings to make up the shortfall if your sponsoring spouse earns less than £18,600. The basic concept when working out how much savings you need is that your sponsor must have £16,000 + 2.5x the difference between your salaried income and the £18,600 minimum threshold in savings. Therefore, if your spouse is earning £10,000 per annum you may need £33,200 to apply for a UK spouse visa. The savings must be in your account for at least six months before you submit your application.

The income threshold and cash savings requirements can be complicated.

However, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our immigration solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contacting us on 0207 936 9960 or through our contact form on our website.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]