Hi my name is warren & i have been in a civil partnership for 4 years & we have come to a decision to end our partnership due to it not working out & i am just wondering how to go about doing so & how to get things started

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry.

In short the process for the final dissolution for a civil partnership is similar to that of a divorce. You will need to lodge a petition and set out the reason or “fact” that you will rely on in support of the dissolution of the civil partnership. As you have been in a civil partnership for over a year you can apply at any time but the reason you can rely on will be one of five specific facts. After lodging the petition it would be served on your partner and this would initiate the proceedings. The process after this will depend on the facts of your case but in short you require the court to approve your petition before a dissolution will be granted.

We will contact you shortly to discuss your matter further.

Best Regards,

OTS Solicitors 

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]