My father is an Australian citizen with UK right to remain - he is permanently resident in Zimbabwe but he and my mother have visited the UK each year for many years (they own a flat in the UK). He and my mother came to the UK five months ago and in the interim he has had a medical emergency requiring further treatment (currently NHS).

My mother is a US citizen who lives with my father in Zimbabwe. She is in the UK on a six-month visa. It now appears certain that she and my father will not be able to travel before the six-month period is up. How can my mother extend her stay? My sister and I are both UK citizens living and working in the UK.

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your question and sorry to hear of your father's health issues.

As your father is receiving medical treatment, your mother may be able to extend her stay. However, the rules surrounding this are strict and complex. Please get in touch with us at your earliest convenience to discuss your matter further. In the meantime, we hope you father recovers soon.
Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our immigration solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contact us on 0207 936 9960 or through our Contact form.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]