Smit joined OTS Solicitors in September 2016 and is currently working as a solicitor within the immigration & Public Law department.
Smit qualified as a solicitor in November 2008 under the Qualified Lawyers Transfer scheme and has been practising exclusively in immigration and asylum work. Smit is qualified under the Law Society's immigration and asylum Accreditation Scheme as a Senior Caseworker.
She has extensive experience in working in the following areas:
• asylum and Humanitarian Protection claims
• Detention, Deportation matters, Fresh Claim Applications and Bail applications
• Preparing judicial review and Court of Appeal matters
• Applications for entry clearance or leave to remain in the UK as a spouse, fiancé or unmarried partner
• EEA Applications – All EU Brexit immigration matters including Family Permit, Zambrano, Surrinder Singh, Residence Card and permanent residence
• Applications for limited leave or further leave to remain or Settlement in the UK
• Applications for British Citizenship (naturalisation and Registration) including applications for review
• Applications outside of the Immigration Rules on human rights grounds
• Applications for Administrative Review
• Appeals at the First-tier Tribunal and the Upper Tribunal
• Family Re-union applications
Smit has also gained a broad range of experience in judicial review matter and has dealt with:
• emergency Injunction Applications to Upper Tribunal and the High Court
• challenges to removal
• certification challenges including human rights claims
• challenges to unlawful detention
• challenges to refusal of fresh claims
• challenges to refusal of entry clearance and Indefinite Leave to Remain
Smit is highly committed to client care and always acts in the best interests of her client. She has experience of working within tight deadlines and getting desired results using her knowledge and skills.
Smit has worked alongside her previous supervisor in the following notable cases:
• Court of Appeal case - KS Burma  EWCA Civ 67: ‘Hanger-on’ issue as laid in Burmese Country Guidance in TL and Others (Sur Place Activities - Risk) Burma was challenged and was overruled.
• Court of Appeal case – NP (Sri Lanka) v SSHD  EWCA Civ 906: The lack of reference to internal relocation in a refusal letter refusing asylum, and/or the lack of reliance on internal relocation either at the First-tier Tribunal (IAC) or in a Rule 24 response to grounds of appeal to the Upper Tribunal, or in written submissions pursuant to specific directions, do not prevent the Upper Tribunal (IAC) from addressing this ground of appeal at a hearing.
• CG case TL and Others (Sur Place Activities - Risk) Burma v SSHD: It was decided that CG case of HM is still valid and also that identities & roles of genuine activists in Burmese pro-democracy organisations based in London are known to Burmese authorities as they are photographed by them and hence face a real risk of persecution and ill-treatment if sent back to Burma.
• Petition to House of Lords in the case of ZO (Somalia) & others v SSHD in which the Supreme Court unanimously dismissed SSHD’s appeal holding that the Reception Directive can apply to second and subsequent application for asylum
Smit has also worked as Compliance Officer for Legal Practice (CoLP) in her previous job profile and has an understanding of SRA compliance in law firms.
Smit is fluent in English, Hindi, Punjabi and spoken Urdu.
Smit has received the following testimonials from a number of her clients.
“Smit is amazing, she helped me to organize everything for my application, she is really patience and answered all the questions that I have. I am really appreciate the help from Smit, I am definitely recommend her!”
“I know Smit for more than five years now. I have asked her advice in past for one of the legal matter and she did an outstanding work. She has helped me throughout the process with dedication and perseverance while pointing me in right direction. I would strongly recommend her in future.”
“Smit's advice has been fantastic for us. Her recommendation and expertise helped my partner to get her necessary immigration related issues sorted. I found that she has good understanding of immigration law and is meticulous at her work. I highly recommend her!”
“Smit is very knowledgeable about immigration laws and her advice was extremely useful during my ILR and Naturalization process. Smit comes across as a confident adviser who has vast experience and is always willing to help.”
“I know Smit Sagar for a long time now. My visa situation in UK got very tricky at one point and there were an array of complexities to learn, understand and apply as an immigrant. She was recommended by a close friend of mine to discuss my case. She was amazing and personable from the first moment I met her in getting my trust, both in terms of expertise on the matter as well as in terms of integrity. She was highly creative in coming out with solutions on my case, which had a critical time constraint to meet. Her advice led me to sort out my immigration visa issue in the best possible manner. I will highly recommend her any day for her focus on getting results, creativity and high integrity.”