Dear OTS Solicitors,

I am an EU national and I have lived and worked in the UK for one year between 2004-2005 and five additional years between 2006-2012. During these six years I have been constantly employed with a UK university. In 2012 I moved to Norway when I was offered a new job. I continued working occasionally for my former employer on a free-lance basis for some time.

I would like to know if there is a way to certify my connection with the UK and retain my right to work in the UK in case I apply or am offered a job in Britain. I understand EU/EEA automatically acquire Permanent Residence status after five years, but is it a status that one can retain?

Many thanks.

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your question.

Generally, Permanent Residence status is lost if the EEA national has been out of the UK for more than two years. You may find that you will have to start again when it comes to exercising your Treaty rights for five years to obtain Permanent Residence status.

Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our Immigration Solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contact us on 0207 936 9960 or through our contact form.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]