Dear Sir/Madam

I hope you are fine. My wife has got Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) based on the long residency (LR) 10 year route today. I am a British citizen since April 2016 and we married in the Aug 2012. When we married in the Aug 2012, I was on Tier 2 visa and she was on the student visa. She is in the UK since Sept 2008. She was on the spouse dependent visa for last 4 years and for Initial 6 years she was on the student visa.

According to the below links I believe she can apply for naturalization/citizenship immediately rather than to wait for one year.

Can you please guide about my understanding. I will highly appreciate if I could get your kind response.


Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for the question. As you are a British Citizen and your partner is married to you, she may be eligible to apply to naturalise as a British citizen without waiting a year after she has acquired Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Our solicitors will contact you shortly to discuss this further.

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]