Good afternoon, I hope you are well. I am seeking some clarification on my immigration status in the UK. I am Polish national; I came to study in the UK (Scotland) in 2007. I graduated in 2011, straight after Graduation I have been offered a job at my university and I have been working here ever since. I got married this month (to Polish national, who also came to Scotland with me in 2007 and after his graduation he has been offered a job and he has been working in the UK with no break ever since). We now wonder, after Brexit, to prove our right to the Permanent Residence in the UK, should we be applying for the Permanent Residence Card or Residence Certificate? Which document would be more appropriate for us in case when we would like to apply for UK citizenship? Many thanks!

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your question. Following Brexit it may be a good idea for both you and your wife to obtain a Permanent Residence Card. You will require one to apply for British Citizenship. As you have been exercising your EU Treaty rights in the UK for over five years, you will both be eligible to apply.
Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our Immigration Solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contact us on 0207 936 9960 or through our contact form.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]