Good afternoon. I've been living in the UK since September 2009. I was a full time university student from 2009-2013. Since 2013, I've been in a full time Employment. I applied for Permanent Residency and just received a letter stating that it was refused due to me not having a comprehensive sickness insurance as a student. I was not aware this was needed, I have an EU Insurance card. Is this sufficient? Or does it mean I cannot appeal? If so, would I be able to reapply once I have worked for continuous 5 years (in May 2018)? Please advise. Thank you very much.

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your question. Generally it is a requirement that you must have comprehensive sickness insurance if you are exercising your Treaty rights as a student. An EU insurance card is generally not sufficient. If you plan to apply in 2018, make sure you keep all relevant documents such as payslips, your contract of Employment etc that prove that you have been exercising your Treaty rights as an employed person for five continuous years.

Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our Immigration Solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contact us on 0207 936 9960 or through our contact form.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]