My spouse is a European national from Estonia. She has been working in London full-time since September 2015.

I am a citizen of the USA - we have moved to the UK from France where we were residing for 5 years.

I am having a challenge of proving Right to Work to my prospective employers who have asked me for a visa or residence card which I do not hold.

It is my understanding that under Directive 2004/38/EC of the European Parliament that as she is exercising her treaty rights in the UK, these rights extend to me as a family member.

This is not being accepted by my prospective employers who require some documentation.

I have applied for a residence card but this will take time and I do not wish to lose the job.

Could you please advise and provide support?

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your question. Did you apply for an EU Family Permit when you entered the UK? You may be able to use this as proof of your right to reside and work in the UK.
Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our Immigration Solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contact us on 0207 936 9960 or through our contact form.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]