Hi, I am a French citizen. I first moved to the UK in 1993. I briefly moved back to France in August 2012, and came back to the UK in August 2014. In total, I have more than 20 years in NI contributions. My child was born in London in 2005, she has a French passport, but I am applying for dual nationality for her. If the UK leaves the EU by March 2019, I wouldn't have been back 5 years yet as I left the UK for 2 years in the meantime. Is there any way the 20 years I have spent in the UK count if I want a Permanent Residence status? Thanks.

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your question.

Generally, to obtain Permanent Residence status you need to have been residing in the UK as a qualified person for five continuous years. Permanent Residence status is automatically granted after this time; however, to obtain a Permanent Residence Card, you will need to provide documentary evidence to prove you have been employed, self-employed, self-sufficient or a student during those five years.

Permanent Residence status can be lost if are out of the UK for more than two years.

Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our Immigration Solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contact us on 0207 936 9960 or through our contact form.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]