Hi, my son obtained second nationality during his tuition as Tier 4 student in UK, now he is citizen of one of the EEA countries (not the UK), and he also have citizenship of another non-EEA country. He applied to University to change his status from Tier 4 student to Home student but University refused, said: if you joined us as Tier 4 student - you have to complete full course as Tier 4 student. If you like study as a Home student - you have terminate yr present study and enter as a new student on general terms. My question is – does my son can change his immigration status to Home student without termination his present tuition? Can he stay in UK as Tier 4 student and in the same time register as EU citizen?

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your enquiry.

Your son may wish to write to the Home Office asking them to clarify that he is no longer a student under Tier 4 and that they recognise him as a European national studying in the UK. Should the Home Office respond to him in writing, he may wish to forward their correspondence to the university in view of challenging their policy. 

Please note his immigration status is not being disputed and it seems as though the university have adopted quite a drastic policy for your son. Unfortunately, if the university maintains that this is their policy, your son will most likely have no choice but to adhere to their rules. 

We could represent your son in liaising with the Home Office and university to try and resolve his problems. 

Someone will be in touch with you shortly to see how we can help you further.

Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our Immigration Solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contacting us on 0207 936 9960 or through our contact form.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]