I am a British citizen, born in the UK in 1985, but living in the USA since 2007. My father, deceased since 2000, was originally born outside the UK, but moved to the UK and became a British citizen (demonstrated in his passport). My mother is a Portuguese citizen, but has been living and working in the UK since 1967. They were unmarried at the time of my birth in 1985, but were subsequently married a year later, in 1986. There is a birth certificate from the time of my birth, listing as qualification both my father and mother, and another from 1986, listing my father. My mother told me that my father had gone to do this, after their marriage. Am I a British citizen "Otherwise Than By Descent" or merely "By Descent," and how can I pass on British Citizenship to my children?

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Dear Sir/Madam,

By way of introduction, my name is Jay Marshall, and I work under the supervision of the principal immigration solicitor at OTS Solicitors. Thank you for your email on the 31st May, which I have read today.

This is just a quick courtesy email to inform you we help you in your enquiry regarding your citizenship. Albeit, this is something that we routinely deal with, so I would suggest that we arrange a consultation to discuss how we can help you in answering your enquiries.

May I kindly ask that you confirm your availability for an appointment with us next week?

Following our meeting, if you would like us to represent you, we will deduct the consultation fee at the end of your case.

If you would like to proceed in this way, please confirm your availability for a meeting next week.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]