I want to consult you about a topic that worries me
I am from Yemen and live in Saudi Arabia. My father is a British man. But when I was born I was not married to my mother. I feel ashamed about this.
When my father went to apply for British Citizenship to me he was rejected on the grounds of the law of persons born before 1 July 2006 to British parents
And whose parents were not married

Is there a way to apply for citizenship

I am 19 years old when I started when I was 15 years old

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your enquiry. 

You may be eligible to register as a British citizen in the UK. From 6 April 2015, s65 of the immigration Act 2014 amended the British nationality Act 1981 to provide for the registration as a British citizen, by right, subject to the good character requirement, for all these who missed on being a British citizen at birth because their mother was not married to their father. 

We will need instructions from you to estabalish whether we can make an application on your behalf to Register as a British citizen. 

Someone will be in touch with you shortly to see how we can help you further.

Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our Immigration Solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contacting us on 0207 936 9960 or through our contact form.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]