I'm a Romanian national and my son and myself obtained Residency Permit in March 2015 as dependant of my husbnad who is also Romanian. I've passed my tests so would like to apply for the British nationality with my son aged 8. Do i need to provide my husbands financial statements (bank statement, tax return etc) for the previous 5 years again?Or the fact that we have a Residency Permit proves we've been living in the previous 5 years in the UK and the last 12 months with Residency Permit?

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your question. As you have held a Residency Permit for more than one year, you may be able to apply for British Citizenship.

According to the Government website, to apply for British Citizenship you must:
-be 18 or over
-be of good character, for example, you don’t have a serious or recent criminal record, and you haven’t tried to deceive the Home Office or been -- -not have been involved in immigration offences in the last 10 years
-plan to continue to live in the UK
-have met the knowledge of English and life in the UK requirements
-met the residency requirement ( spent no more than 450 days outside the UK during those 5 years and no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months)
-have held a Permanent Residence Card for at least 12 months if you are an EEA citizen

We would be happy to help you with you and your son's application.

Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our Immigration Solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contact us on 0207 936 9960 or through our contact form.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]